Thai cucumber salad
July 8th 2011
- 4 cucumbers , peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced very thin
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 seeded and minced Thai chiles
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts , toasted
- 1. Evenly spread cucumber slices on paper towel–lined baking sheet. Refrigerate while preparing dressing.
- 2. Bring vinegar to simmer in saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer vinegar to bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Whisk in lime juice, fish sauce, chiles, oil, sugar, and salt.
- 3. When ready to serve, add cucumbers, mint, and basil to dressing and toss to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes; retoss, sprinkle with peanuts, and serve.